One of those recipes that sure to bring back memories of your childhood, coming home after a day playing in the park, after Sunday lunch, easy and simple.
For the crumble
- 300g/10½oz plain flour, sieved pinch of salt
- 175g/6oz demerara sugar
- 200g/7oz unsalted butter, room temperature & cubed
- Knob of butter for greasing
For the filling
- 450g/1lb apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm/½in pieces
- 50g/2oz demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
Making the Crumble
- Pre-heat your oven to 180c/350F/GM4
- Place the flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl, you do not need to sieve the flour any longer you’re very unlikely to find any weevils nowadays. Mix the flour and sugar well.
- Take a few of the cubes of butter and start to rub this into the flour sugar mix, keep rubbing the butter in until it has all been combined and your mixture looks like bread crumbs.
- Peel the apples and whip out the cores (use a knife to de-core the apples, but be careful). Slice the apples into chunks around 1cm / ½inch in size then place them into an oven proof dish (24cm/9in). Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over the fruit mix and mix it together.
- Spoon the crumble mix over the top of the apples then place in the middle of the oven for around 40 – 45 minutes until golden brown and you can see the fruit mix bubbling.
- Pouring cream
- Good quality Vanilla ice cream